Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Are you utilizing your data?

Today is Data Analysis Day!!
This is when I download both the Dexcom G4 data and the OmniPod data to see what trends are happening and what changes need to be made. I have also discovered a little secret report that can help you potentially see where your A1C is at ;)

I will start off with the Dexcom report. This is the most in depth data that we have because it is giving a reading every 5 minutes 24/7. This allows us to see the biggest trends and it also gives recommendations based on those trends.
The report that you use to get the best picture of this is the Trend Patterns & Insights
I select the 14 day because it allows you to vividly see the trends.



As you can see I have circle the areas where there are the most concentration of data. At the bottom of the report it also tells you the pattern insight summary and gives you suggestions for changes that possibly could be made.

Before we make any final decisions about the adjustments that need to be made, I have to analyze the OmniPod data as well. The report that I use is the Two Week Glucose Summary


I use the Average row to see where the problem areas are and compare those to the Dexcom report, if they match then we have to decide if it is a carbohydrate ratio issue, basal rate issue or a correction factor issue.


Here is the little bonus report that I discovered before our last endocrinologist visit. I hate being blindsided by the A1C result so when I found this report and I compared it to his A1C result it was nearly DEAD ON accurate! Woo Hoo
*Now, since we use the OmniPod insulin pump, I am only able to help those users

When you are in the Freestyle CoPilot Health Management System. Under the Tab Reports you will select Statistics

Once that has loaded you select Last 3 Months from the drop down menu

When your report is loaded you will look in the Average Row and Total/Summary Column and Voila! you have your potential A1C predictor :)


I would love to hear some feedback on if this report was in fact close to your actual A1C like ours!

I hope that this has helped some understand how valuable this data can be and that if it utilized on a regular basis (our endo recommends weekly) then T1D management can be that much more successful!

*Please be advised that this is in no way medical advice, this is just what works well for our family in managing J's T1D. Always consult your physician before making any changes in your medical decisions and care plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment