We are two days away from Joseph's surgery to remove his tonsils and panic and fear have started to creep into my mind.
As I mentioned in my previous post This is not routine we are having Joseph's surgery at the hospital where he was treated after his Type 1 Diabetes diagnosis. We are erring on the side of caution should he have any complications due to anesthesia or the refusal to eat or drink after surgery.
Joseph has never been put under anesthesia so we do not know how his blood sugar will react and even if it reacts well we have the hurdle of getting him to eat and drink post surgery to keep his blood sugars "controlled".
Just today the decision was made between Joseph's surgeon and his Endocrinologist to go ahead and plan to admit Joseph for at least one night post surgery to keep a close eye on his recovery and stability. This helps to put my mind at ease knowing that they are taking surgery and Type 1 Diabetes seriously.
If we were to have his surgery at an outpatient clinic with people who weren't familiar with the disease or it's complications then we could be in for a world of trouble. If Joseph comes out of surgery normally and is sent home like a patient normally is and he begins refusing to eat or drink then we have no way to raise a low blood sugar if the need arises and that can lead to a life threatening situation very quickly. If he is admitted into the hospital then they can help control his blood sugar with IV treatments and make sure that his body is staying hydrated if needed.
This is not an ideal or easy situation but preparing for the worst case scenario is what we have to do when life involves Type 1 Diabetes. We never know what diabetes is going to do next, but if we try our best to stay one step ahead, then we can try to maintain the upper hand and prevent the worst from happening.
Please keep Joseph in your prayers as Wednesday approaches and I will be sure to update how his surgery went once I know any information.
-until next time